Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Will Pencil-Identity Be My Legacy?

In the world of financial planning there is a term called 'legacy planning'. In layman's terms, it means how much does a person want to spend in this world, whilst still alive, and how much does the person want to leave behind for survivors or to charitable institutions. Charts, software, and experts abound on how to achieve whatever one's stated goal is. Goals can and do change as people, circumstances, and life are not static but rather a constant sea of synergies between humans and their life-goals.

Finances aside, I've devoted not a small amount of thinking to what impressions and memories would I want to leave behind. What will people say about me when I'm gone?

Here is a recent 'glimmer':

Last night I was reminded, by a person whom I work closely with, that whenever she sees sharpened, Ticonderoga 2/HB pencils lying about, she thinks of me, and leaves them in my mailbox because she knows that is a signature teaching tool of mine. Well, thought I to myself, I could be identified with much worse and insignificant things. At least by giving a sharpened, Ticonderoga 2/HB to each of the singers in my choir, they know that I cared to send the very best.

Having learned the hard way, in the classroom, that if you give sub-standard pencils to those with whom you are working, you will find your time being interrupted by students steadily at the pencil sharpener, sharpening those pencils whose graphite breaks constantly. This is a highly annoying circumstance, one that a seasoned leader can see could be remedied quickly by simply upgrading the brand of pencil passed out to participants.

Consequently, I will be honored to be remembered by the brand of pencil that I pass out to participants, players, and singers with whom I have had and currently have the pleasure of working with. However, I can also see the value of working on other traits that can be ascribed to me for eternity that may be of a higher value than simple pencils.

Perhaps I should start passing out chocolate at every rehearsal? Paperclips? Rubber bands?

I must sign off and go work on my legacy planning!

Ancora imparo