Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Joy Formula

Pop culture leads us to believe that we must find our joy, follow our bliss, be true to ourselves, etc. Speaking, of course, only for myself, I can attest to falling victim to that philosophy. It is, after all, placed before us constantly. Television and print media are full of segments and articles about 'how to be happy' or 'find your joy' so it is only natural that 'joy' is sought and pursued almost relentlessly. It is no surprise, then, that when we do not experience 'joy' on a regular, if not daily, basis, we may arrive at the conclusion that we are missing 'something' or that 'something' is wrong with us.

As I stated earlier, I do fall victim to this mentality and I was just hit over the head with that realization. A short while ago, I walked out of my office, past the pictures lining the shelves in my bookcase and my eye was caught by a picture of my granddaughter, Princess Leia. She is seated in her high chair with a big smile on her face and in her eyes.......this despite the fact that she had an undiagnosed ear infection at the time. Seeing her picture made me instantly smile and I thought to myself, "This is a 'joyette'", a momentary event or happening that brought instant happiness to moi. Then I recalled several other instances, just this morning, that resulted in the same reaction. Viewing the cardinals, reading an email from a friend, hearing a friend's laugh, and gazing at the Christmas tree's lights. (Yes, our tree is still up and will be as long as it brings joy while looking at it.)

All those 'joyettes' and in such a short time frame.....but, they all computed to joy, for which I am thankful. Now I'll be ready to identify more 'joyettes' as they happen and I'll be able to add them up to the grand sum of another state of JOY. I think JOY can be fleeting so I'd better sign off and go enjoy it while it lasts.

I hope your day is filled with 'joyettes'!

Ancora imparo