Sunday, January 10, 2010

On The Hot Seat

"Have you ever been on the hot seat?"

I was asked that question this morning and responded by asking the question: "Do you mean a heated seat or 'under fire'?" I knew what the questioner meant but I was just busy being a Smarty Pants. We went on to have a discussion about what it means to be in charge of a group, a project, etc. We agreed that some individuals are born for leadership, others become prepared for the state of leadership, and yet others are not 'programmed' to lead anyone or anything. Unfortunately, some people, in the latter category, are thrust into the limelight of leadership due to extenuating or accidental circumstances and the results are dismal, at best. Other ineffectual leaders find themselves in important positions because they volunteer, seeing themselves as leaders, when, in fact, they are not.

Then we asked ourselves how could a person know if their skill sets were not matched to be able to fend off the inevitable criticism that comes with 'being on the hot seat'. A few, savvy folk instinctively understand they are not cut out to sit on the hot seat. A few others discover the hot seat is not for them in the veritable 'trial by fire' baptism that accompanies such a position, and another small percentage never do get the message, either internally or externally.

I've been 'on the hot seat' numerous moments in my life, as I am certain have many of the readers of this blog. At times it has been challenging, at times frustrating, at times downright fun, and, at other times, humbling, but never, never boring.

I will share my favorite hot seat with you........the two front seats in our little car. Those hot seats are pure pleasure and fortune to have at this time of year. They heat up quickly and retain their heat, even when the switch is first turned off. Much like the hot seats of life, my car's hot seats are comfortable until I've been there too long. Then I can choose to either turn them off OR get out of the car.

Hmmm, I think I've stumbled onto something!

Ancora imparo