Monday, January 4, 2010

We Hardly Knew Ye, Sir Isaac!

Disclaimer: Today's posting is a little 'out there', but it has been a tough day and my mind just went in this direction.......kind of like an untrained puppy.

Today, the world celebrates the birthday of Sir Isaac Newton. Not wanting to seem cavalier about the birth of one so important in the world of science and mathematics, I went to my favorite source of information, Wikipedia, the End-All of Sources.

My first mistake was empirical in nature. I'm certain that Sir Isaac would not have neglected to ascertain how many pages would print off when he clicked on the 'print' symbol. I did not check, and instead, went to do something else after hitting 'print'. (second mistake) Much to my dismay, twenty-three pages later, I had wasted more ink than I would have ever imagined. I did read through the text though, and now feel as if I am well-acquainted with the man himself.

Sir Isaac was an authentic Renaissance Man, having great knowledge in a wide variety of subjects, displaying the ability to exercise both the left and right hemispheres of his brain. How fascinating that while being a renowned man of science, he was also a theologian.

During my days of matriculation, I avoided anything science-related (or math-related, for that matter) like the bubonic plague. I took the required years of coursework in math and science for both my secondary and post-secondary education but had no heart for it, nor pathetically little aptitude, either. Consequently, my knowledge of Sir Isaac's accomplishments lies mostly in his work in the area of gravity.


"What goes up must come down.", aptly sums up my take-away from Sir Isaac. This is hard to admit but, in 2010, I've committed to truth-telling, no matter the consequence. Wanting to leave the readers of this blog with some tie-in to where I am today, I would equate Sir Isaac's work in the area of gravity thusly:

"What used to be 'up', is now coming down" - drooping at an alarming rate of droopage. (Droopage may be a term with which Sir Isaac was unfamiliar. He was a bachelor his entire life.) If the droopage rate increases in velocity, I'll be raking up body parts daily in the near future.

I am rapidly approaching critical mass.......and I am not a Catholic. Save me, Sir Isaac!

Ancora imparo