Thursday, January 21, 2010

Spinal Column

The spinal column of Homo sapiens is the lifeline of the human body. This ultra-important skeletal highway is wired with all matter of necessities for existence. Our spinal columns do, literally, separate life from death.

A little research from the site, Human Evolution at the Smithsonian Institution, gleaned this about us: Homo sapiens have evolved a large brain with a high vaulted cranium with a flat and near vertical forehead. The widest part of our modern skulls is high on the skull, as opposed to the earlier ancestor, Homo erectus.

My spinal column feeds my brain and in return, my brain sends signals to my spinal column. A fascinating synergy.

Having pause, this morning, to reflect on my spine and its significance in my life, the term spineless came to mind. Spineless can be thought of as being unconvicted about most everything or being without conviction, opinion or action. (These are my definitions.) To be referred to as spineless is not a positive descriptor in any stretch of the imagination.

My body feels better when my spine is erect......straight as a board. My moral compass works better when my spine is engaged and not limp. At times, my tongue gets all mixed up with my spine and then I utter words or conjure thoughts that can unintentionally offend or hurt. But.....then there are times when, having had a flaccid spine, I am drawn to that realization and my moral, ethical and responsible compass roars back to life, thus straightening my spine to the angle and firmness required of me. For moi, discernment remains my internal lexicon - that inner voice that knows the difference.

If you see me across a crowded room or across a table in conversation, I'll likely be sitting as straight as possible. I prefer a hard chair to a padded and comfy one. I guess that is God's way of helping me avoid headaches, back aches and other aching body parts. Plus, it reminds me that I do have a spine and I should put it to good use.

I need to practice sitting a little straighter today. Will you join me?

Ancora imparo