Monday, January 18, 2010

A Mind Of Their Own

Some 'things' just have a mind of their own, don't they?

For instance, my wireless mouse has never been the same since my computer crashed during the winter of 2009. My mouse communicates information to my laptop's cursor via a language known only to creatures from other worlds. The cursor jumps randomly at times, moving letters into the midst of other words and, the most annoying trait of all, jumping to the 'send' button when I am in the middle of creating an email.

My hair has always had a mind of its own. People give me compliments from time to time and I can honestly reply that if my hair looks 'good', it is totally accidental. I always said that, as a mother of young children, I looked really good for the first five minutes of my day.

Our Grumpy Kitty has a mind of her own. She marches to the beat of her own drummer.....if she has not eaten her drummer already. She could care less what any other living organism thinks she should do.

Sometimes my tongue acts with no apparent connection to my brain - kind of like having a mind of its own. As a rule, when this happens, the outcome is generally not favorable - for me or others!

Pizza dough falls under the category of having a mind of its own. Have you ever tried rolling out pizza dough? I do not attempt it very often and, when I do, it is as if I am trying to commandeer mercury that has fallen on the floor. I am certain that all pizza dough recipes contain rubber that is programmed to return to its original shape.

Lastly, I know, from personal experience, that children have a mind of their own. This is especially true when a parent tries to influence a child or, heaven forbid, actually tell the child what to do. Some children are genetically predisposed to to exactly the opposite of the parental request.

I would like to think that I, too, have a mind of my own. That I can think independently of the 'crowd', that I can muster the courage to think and act when the prevailing opinion is blowing in a direction that I am not comfortable with, and that I can think with compassion and care when thinking of others.

Having a mind of my own........this is a good thing.

Ancora imparo