Sunday, January 3, 2010

Drawer Faeries

My residence has had recent night-visitors. Those marauding Drawer Faeries that come stealthily whilst you sleep and mess up drawers that you would swear, up to that point, had been perfectly organized.

Oh, come on, now. Don't feign confusion. You know what I'm talkin' about. You can 'fess up to owning at least one Drawer - mine is in the kitchen - that takes on a life of its own, from time to time.

I recognized the Drawer Faeries work instantly. Suddenly, (it always happens suddenly, doesn't it?) the Drawer would no longer close properly.


It was a kitchen work-day. An attempt to bring the contents of the refrigerator under control from the Holly Daze. I was fiend-like in my zeal to either search and destroy foods that had passed their prime or, search and cook foods that I could salvage. A large pot of turkey/vegetable/barley soup was underway and every usable vegetable was fair game. Having opened the Drawer to grab for the vegetable peeler, I went to thrust it shut and the Drawer refused to close.

As an aside: This scenario was further confounded by two outside influences - the presence of the great over-seerer, monitoring my my kitchen movements, and the fact that one of the 'noyed's' was visiting. Having an 'noyed' visit at such times only adds to the ability of an 'noyance' to flash rather quickly.

So, when my beloved SO inquired, "What's the matter, dear?", my response was not one of a calm and cultured nature. I immediately set about rutting through the Drawer, looking for the offending utensil that was preventing the Drawer from closing. Gazing into the Drawer, I scarcely recognized its contents. Gone were the precisely placed spatulas, whisks, knives, etc. that had once inhabited the Drawer. Instead I was gazing at a hodge-podge of carelessly thrown utensils, probably from the excitement of the Holly Daze. Two spatulas had grown to six or seven and two chip-clips had increased to five or six........and they take up a lot of space. When I made the discovery of two large potato-mashers that I did not know existed, I knew that the Drawer Faeries had visited us.

Although I had sworn NOT to make a list of resolutions for this new decade, I now have a list with one bulleted point on it: Drawer inspections. I'm pretty sure the Drawer Faeries did not limit their antics to just one.

May the Drawer Faeries pass you by. Hang a spatula at your front door.

Ancora imparo