Friday, January 8, 2010

If Only I'd.......

I have written before about my inability to 'see' most things mechanical. What can I say? I am not mechanically inclined and I learned to accept that long ago. I can remember taking aptitude tests in high school and never doing well in the areas that were mechanical in nature.

The other members of my nuclear family can look at a bag full of parts and visualize how they should fit together to form the object pictured on the box. My SO likes to take apart a piece of machinery to discover how it works AND he can put it back together again AND it will still work. I, on the other hand, recognize that the economy is slow and that other people depend on people like me to pick up the phone and hire them to make my machinery function properly.

I can look at an object all day long and never decipher how it works, runs, goes bump, or how the thingeymajig goes up and down. I still laugh at myself remembering when I tried to operate a small fishing boat with a rear-till motor. I could not get the small craft to do anything but go in circles, all the while my SO and I were laughing hysterically.

If you read yesterday's blog, you will recall I mentioned my very frustrating experience with my FS (Favorite Son) and all of the patient time he took trying to get my Christmas-gift web cam to display an image so we could video chat. After we ended our conversation together, I spent even more minutes attempting to solve the problem.....but to no avail. About an hour later, my SO came home. I muttered, mumbled, whined and complained about how frustrated I was, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. I went my way and he went his. Just a few minutes later, Mr. Mechanical came to me, camera in hand, and quietly asked if I knew there was a lens cap on the web cam.

The web cam works just fine. I'm glad one half of this partnership is inclined to lift up the lens cap.

Ancora imparo