Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Comic Outcome

A little over one year ago, I made a pledge to read my local newspaper's comic strips for one year. My purpose was to discover if the funnies were really funny. As I had explained, in a much-earlier blog posted about the same time as my personal challenge, I had never found the comic section very amusing. My SO and FS, regular readers, were always outwardly amused. I would look at the comics and only occasionally smile.

Segue to now. I'm ready to report my findings.

It took a while, but after daily perusals during the last twelve-plus months, I can admit to laughing aloud from time to time. I've taken the time to question other readers to determine their likes, dislikes, and favorites. I have come to realize that each comic strip's creator/illustrator has a societal message, of some kind, to convey. A few strips deal, quite realistically I might add, with parenting; some strips deal with human relationships; some strips deal with marriage and family; one exclusively portrays life with teenagers; one deals with feline and other animal lovers; another creation depicts the life of office politics; and yet another is written from the perspective of the animals themselves. The comics reveal a more reliable litmus test of life than, perhaps, any other media. They can convey subtle messages that might be unfavorably received in other manners or from other voices.

Yes, I have found the funnies funny. Their fascinating takes on life are a breath of fresh air in an otherwise duplicitous and deceptive societal landscape. We get zero truth from our elected officials and their lackeys. At least we can see ourselves, as we are, in the comic strips.

Ancora imparo