Saturday, July 31, 2010

I Couldn't Help Myself

It was Princess Leia's fault.

Really. I was not to blame.

The meal was progressing routinely. Princess Leia was being her normal charming self, smiling and 'talking' and eating enthusiastically. Unfortunately, for me, I was seated right across from her, able to see her flash her million dollar smile and feel her magnetic personality. I know I am supposed to be the adult, one who is immune from laughing at a child, but it just didn't quite work out that way.

Deep down, inside, I understand it is not supposed to be funny when a toddler throws something at the dinner table, but Princess Leia threw her 'sippy' cup down with such determination, then smiled and looked right at Grandpa SO and me. I started to laugh, but knew I shouldn't, so I ducked down below the table to try to conceal my laughing. PL knew where I was and did her darnedest to lean over and see where Granny had disappeared to. There was a Cheerio box on the table and I tried to sit up and 'hide' behind the Cheerio box until I could 'get it together'. PL craned her little neck as far as she could to see over the top of the cereal box, which Grandpa SO described to me.......while laughing, I might add. I made the mistake of looking over the cereal box, right into those eyes, and she laughed even more. By now I was laughing so hard I was crying, but I was still trying to not let PL see me laugh at her antics. Then she started leaning left and right, making every attempt to make eye contact with her now out-of-control granny. Grandpa SO, who is usually the model of table decorum then began moving the Cheerio box left and right, allowing PL to keep me in her sights. It was two against one!

I can only say that I laughed until my sides hurt. Secretly, it was the most fun I've had in a long time, but please do not mention this to PL's parents. If I ever had to care for Princess Leia for any long-term, I'd have to take lessons on how to avoid her charms.

I can only hope that breakfast, tomorrow morning, goes better than tonight's dinner.

It really was not my fault.

Ancora imparo