Saturday, July 3, 2010

Caught In The Trap

My intentions were good....pure. In my head and in my heart, I knew what had to be done. Get up, throw on some clothes, get out there and pound the pavement, walking as quickly as these aging bones can go. My SO and I slept slightly longer than usual, but we were not deterred by the rapidly rising thermometer. Grabbing the letter that had to be mailed, we set off toward the Post Office, sticking to shaded sidewalks wherever possible. As we neared the Post Office, in the near-distance we could see the farmers' market that so many others had spoken of. After depositing the letter I sweetly said to my SO, "Oh, can we just walk over there and check it out?" He reluctantly agreed and we set off.

I don't know if most readers are regular farmers' market aficionados, but we are. We browse and buy fresh produce whenever possible, choosing to support local producers because it helps their economy and the fruits and vegetables just flat out taste so much better than the cardboard phonies that masquerade for produce during the 'off' season. We picked up a pint of 'first-picking' raspberries, a quart of gorgeous strawberries, some fresh tomatoes and Michigan blueberries, which are always tasty. We agreed that we'd walk back to the Aqua RV, deposit our treats, and continue our walk.

This plan was going all well and good until we arrived back at the marina, saw a gentleman with a coffee cup in hand and remembered that on Saturday mornings, we'd read that the marina offered complimentary coffee in the lounge area. My SO and I looked at each other and said, almost simultaneously, "Let's go get some coffee." I didn't see this as a problem. Other than a long list of why I should not drink coffee, I really enjoy a cup, first thing in the morning. Up the stairs we went and entered the lounge. Upon approaching the coffee area, we spied the unmistakable sight of a white-cardboard bakery box, right next to the coffee.

What, you might ask, is your problem?

You see, I am on a special diet: The See-Food Diet. When I see food, I eat it. The Drink-Food Diet usually doesn't give me too much trouble as I stick mainly to water and the occasional cup of coffee, or a sporadic glass of wine. But this See-Food Diet is a killer.

My hand was drawn to the white cardboard box, as though there was a powerful magnet propelling my hand to discover what laid at the bottom of this box. Sure enough, there were rows and rows of cake doughnuts, some with white and chocolate frosting, others were plain or sprinkled with cinnamon. The muscles in my right hand became uncontrollable as my arm reached for the smallest chocolate-covered doughnut in the box. Soon the forbidden food was on a napkin and, before I knew what was happening to me, I was seated at a table, drinking my coffee from the Drink-Food Diet and happily consuming the doughnut from the See-Food Diet menu.

I will have to speak to the marina management about this culinary trap. This was just like a State Patrol speed-trap, only this trap consisted of cake doughnuts. I've never been caught in a speed trap but I surely fell, as a hapless victim, to the doughnut trap.

I couldn't help myself. It wasn't my fault.

Now I HAVE to go for that walk!

Ancora imparo