Sunday, July 4, 2010

Trixadexaphobic?

This is so silly, but when I signed out from my last posting, I noted that particular posting was the five-hundred and thirteenth posting, which made my brain go about a thousand miles per second, and, voila! there was another topic on which to blather.

The word, trixadexaphobia, which, loosely interpreted, means a fear of the number thirteen, has always fascinated me. I know a few individuals who really are trixadexaphobic, taking their fear of thirteen to heights known only to the people who are featured on the cable show, "Obsessed". Some, many, or maybe even all, hotel chains will purposefully exclude the number thirteen from their floor/room-numbering systems. While I do not consider myself superstitious, I would chose not to stay in a hotel room on a thirteenth floor. And, had my SO and I been so predisposed to a large family, I would have stopped at twelve children, not wanting to have a child go through life as the dreaded thirteenth offspring.

On the other hand, I could have made exceptions to the general avoidance of thirteen 'somethings'. I could happily have thirteen puppies (imagine the newspapers you would go through), thirteen doughnuts (see yesterday's blog), thirteen Storheims custard cones (just deliver me to the undertaker afterward), thirteen sports cars, and thirteen boxes of hot chocolate mix. (To understand the latter reference, you will have to speak to my children.)

Thirteen of something doesn't have to have a negative connotation, it just depends upon thirteen 'what'. Thirteen earwigs, spiders, ants, Japanese Beetles, or bad pop singers? No thank you.

The end of Posting Number Five-hundred and Fourteen. I'm safe!

Ancora imparo