Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Unplugged

I never go 'unplugged' with my laptop but, tonight, here I sit on the upper deck of the Aqua RV, typing away, watching the approaching storms envelope the sky around our marina. The skies in this part of the country have been active today with tornadoes, thunderstorms, lightning, hail, and high winds, thankfully not here......until now.

Armed with another posting idea, I had intended to blog down below, but the idea of observing the stormy skies was more than I could resist, so I did the uncharacteristic - for moi - and brought my laptop up to the deck. I'm glad I'm unplugged because the light show and thunder has begun and I would not want to be connected to electricity at this moment. In fact, it is all I can do to stay here, on the deck, with the storm around us. Somehow, being down below, where I would not be able to see the lightning - only hear the claps of thunder - could somehow mitigate the intensity of Mother Nature's antics.

The sky is becoming very dark and it is raining steadily. The boat is beginning to rock a bit, which means that there is wind somewhere.....so says Capt. SO. The wind has not yet reached us, but the water is reflecting wind - perhaps out in the bay. Since our car has to sit outside when we are here, I hope that our area escapes the hail that has been accompanying this particular set of storm cells. If sky-darkness is any indication, it would appear that the area to the south of us is experiencing more storm-related by-products than we are. Every now and then the thunder lets go with an ear-splitting crack and I jump, which then makes a typing error which I have to correct.

But, to the title of this posting, being 'unplugged' is quite liberating. Unfettered and unconnected is giving me the feeling of being somehow 'free', which is really ridiculous, since true freedom and unconnectedness would be not having my laptop at all. I wonder if my definition of unfettered and unconnected is being changed with time?

Hmmm. The lightning is intensifying, so this blogger will sign off and become an ostrich. If I can't see it then it is not happening.

Right..........

Ancora imparo