Monday, July 12, 2010

Weddings Are So Much Fun

I love weddings for a number of reasons. The obvious reason is that they are romantic, the culmination of a dating relationship that the couple has chosen to signify the outward and visible sign of love and commitment.

Weddings are also fun, often an opportunity for an extended family to come together, resulting in a mini-reunion of sorts. All the familial eggs show up - cracked, hard-boiled, scrambled, poached, sunny-side up and over-easy. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that with my egg descriptions, you can attach a relative to every egg-preparation type there is. (I'm right, aren't I?) Some of the family eggs fit the egg-industry, sorting categories, too. Jumbo, extra large, large, medium, small, organic, cage-free, brown, fowl, speckled, and, my personal favorite: turkey. All my egg 'talk' reminds me of my dad's highest compliment he could pay another man: "He's a good egg."

Weddings are also a window into the bride and groom's personalities. Some couples are ultra-serious, others playful during the ceremony, while yet others appear scared to death, looking as if they are wondering how the 'whole thing got this far'. I also love to see the choices that brides make for their gowns and the dresses for their bridal attendants. Another cue to the bride and groom's personalities are the genres of music selected. Post-ceremony usually, and hopefully, finds the happy couple relaxed and ready to kick back.

While weddings do have some format, due to the framework of the ceremony chosen, there are as many formats as there are married-couples-to-be. It is a chance to place the stamp of individuality (speaking of the couple as one) on the entire event, and that is the fascinating nature of weddings. You come away from each wedding with a bit more insight into the man and woman that just 'tied the knot'.

Hopefully the knot is a strong one.

Ancora imparo