Monday, August 2, 2010

Answers VS Questions

A few days ago, I caught part of an interview on Public Radio. Unfortunately, I did not hear the name of the person being interviewed, nor do I remember the show that I was listening to, so I cannot give credit, where credit is due, for the seed of my idea that grew from one, short comment made on the air.

The comment, that captured my attention, went something like this: Answers give us permission to stop wondering, to stop being inquisitive and to stop investigating.

In my car, at the time of the program, I heard the comment and immediately turned off the radio, in order to remember and to reflect upon what I had just listened to. The longer I pondered, the greater the impact of profundity became to me.

Aren't we always looking for 'answers'? Aren't we taught, from very early on, to question almost EVERYTHING and to search for 'the answer'? Many times, do we not DEMAND answers and then feel more reassured when we receive them? In circumstances of extreme danger, confusion, and tragedy do we humans not pursue answers with all the technology and manpower that can be summoned? Wouldn't our leaders be criticized for not seeking 'answers'?

Perhaps the concept is more along the lines of there is not one answer but many. Can a human really be content with the concept that there might be more than one right answer?

I do not have an answer to my own question, and it just might be better if I do not. This may be an opportunity to just keep thinking......and thinking......and thinking. Now if I can just prevent a headache from coming.......

Ancora imparo