Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independent Thinkers

Google reminded me that today, besides being our nation's Independence Day, is also Rube Goldberg's birthday. What a perfect combination, to say the least, of independence and thinking. Rube Goldberg was a genius who didn't, or perhaps couldn't, think inside the box and for that, we should all say "Thank you, Rube!".

This, then, made me think of all of the school children I have known, and all of the parents who still talk to me about how our country's 'version' of school just doesn't 'suit' all children. I understand the logic behind 'educational warehousing', where one model works best to educate the largest number of students at one time. School districts, nor our nation, simply cannot afford the one student/one teacher ratio that would be necessary to offer 'concierge' teaching to each student. But I have seen, first-hand, the lost student who falls through the cracks because we have a one-size-fits-all model of education.

Across the nation, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Rube Goldberg-type students who are trying to fit their round brains into the square school desks of their respective districts. Students who simply cannot learn through traditional methods, get labeled as 'problem' or 'troubled', when, in fact, they possess a brilliance that is either misunderstood or goes unrecognized.

Before the readers of this blog throw brickbats at me, please understand that I do comprehend the necessity of proper behavior and discipline in the classroom. I taught a subject where my classroom usually had twice the number (or more) of the traditional classroom and every student of mine had a 'noise-maker' in his or her hands. I KNOW the need for esprit d'corps. But I also recognize the need for the possibility of customized teaching, whenever possible and practical.

I salute the independent thinkers who championed our nation's breakaway from her mother country and I salute independent thinkers, such as Rube Goldberg, who have helped shape our nation into the great country she has become.

Happy Independence Day, America!

Ancora imparo