Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Seven Generation Footprint

A recent article in the March, 2010 Reader's Digest caught my eye and, subsequently, grabbed my imagination by the collar and would not let go. The article, "Driven To Succeed", written by Margaret Heffernan, showcases a Detroit, Michigan woman named Andra Rush, who leads her own trucking company, Rush Trucking. Rush is a member of the Mohawk Indian Tribe of Ontario, Canada. In a Q and A section of the story, Rush is asked the question, "How has your heritage influenced your approach to business?" She replies, "In our culture, when you make a decision, you consider its impact on the next seven generations."

The next seven generations struck a chord with me. Not only is that a very long time, but to consider subsequent generations numbering seven, requires much forethought and planning. When I truly consider seven generations, I am overwhelmed by the enormity of the task. How could one really anticipate all that could and might happen over the course of time for the next seven generations? Rush talks about taking environmental precautions from the outset, which would be obvious. But, how can a person forsee what the future might be like or what the future might demand of those living their lives in the future?

I have difficulty planning for the next day or week, let alone the next seven generations. But the idea, however daunting, would serve to inspire creativity, ingenuity, and an atmosphere of cooperation with other humans as well as the environment. It gives me pause to ponder if we really could co-exist peacefully with Mother Nature without environmental and wildlife exploitation?

I know the answer to my question is 'yes', but are we ready, as a people, to make the necessary adjustments and sacrifices? How do we shed the attitude of "its mine to possess, and I want it now!?!?" Are we ready to see nature as an equal to our human needs, wants, and desires?

Now I must plan for dinner the the evening. This could be a challenge. I'll start small and work my way up to 'big'.

Ancora imparo