Sunday, July 25, 2010

Old Faithfuls

'Tis good to be home.....even though it brings loads and loads of laundry, pulling weeds, running the discolored water out of the faucets, vacuuming up too much cat hair, airing out the cat's litter box, grooming Cranky Kitty - who hates to be groomed, and scrounging for food in a mostly-empty refrigerator. You know the drill of coming home. Sometimes even finding clean clothes to change into after your arrival-home shower can be a challenge!

There is just something so very comforting about returning home after being away. The old faithfuls, I call them, are so wonderfully familiar. Old faithfuls like the flavor of your own water, your tub/shower, your soap, your towels, your favorite chairs, easy access to your coffee-creamer.....even having coffee creamer.....the view out your windows, your favorite blends of coffee, and, best of all, your bed and pillow.

Anyone who has been away from home, even for a short amount of time, knows how wonderful it is to return to one's own bed. The way your own pillow folds around your head and neck, the feel of the lumps, dips, and furrows in your mattress......they all add up to better sleeping. Even the kind of sheets you are accustomed to sleeping on can make a difference.

My SO says that I am like the princess in "The Princess and the Pea" story and, I must admit, he is right. When it comes to sleeping, I have so much trouble getting a good night's sleep, that all of the stars and planets must be correctly aligned in order for me to sleep with any definition of 'good' possible. At times, when one is away from home, there may even be a difference in nighttime lighting, temperature and sounds.

And, so, it is with great delight that I type this posting from the comfort and informality of my own home. My desk and desk chair were just waiting for me, as was Cranky Kitty, who really likes people - she just has trouble showing it in the conventionally and socially acceptable ways that kitties should.

I keep telling her that biting, growling and hissing are not ways to influence people to become her friends.

It is not working.

From the comfort of MY HOME,
Ancora imparo