Sunday, August 2, 2009

What's Your Lemonade?

You know the old 'saw', making lemonade out of lemons? Taking something less-than-perfect and making it into something delicious or desirable.........

I was sprinkling raisins into my oatmeal recently and my mind suddenly went to the life-altering question: Are raisins the chocolate ice cream of the grape industry?

Being married to a food scientist/engineer, I've long been aware that nearly every food processing segment has their own 'chocolate ice cream'. To the dairy industry, chocolate ice cream is to ice cream as relish is to the pickle-processing industry. All of you chocolate ice cream lovers can sit back down after rising up in protest to my comment.......I did not say that chocolate ice cream is a 'second' in any way. It is, however, the ice cream that is made, primarily, from 'leftovers', if you will. Just the way that pickle relish is made from all of the pickles that were substandard in terms of size, shape or fracturing.

The lowly hot dog is the chocolate ice cream of the meat packing industry and so is that marvelous gelled meat that comes in a rectangular-shaped can that actually is the basis for an annual sculpturing contest. The cereal industry probably has their version of chocolate ice cream but I am not aware of what it is.

And so, I repeat my question: Are raisins the chocolate ice cream of the grape industry? My inquiring mind wants to know. If you tell me, I promise not to let it affect my impression of the sun-plumped raisin, formerly known as a grape.

Is there a chocolate ice cream in your life? What is your lemonade?

Ancora imparo