Saturday, August 8, 2009

Borrowed Trouble

Borrowing trouble is too easy to do. I surmise that another term for borrowing trouble is worrying and, heaven knows, I am very good at that. But, borrowing trouble seems a bit different to me than worrying. If I borrow trouble, that signifies that I am concerned that something less-than-positive may transpire. If I worry, that signifies that I am concerned that I, or someone I care about, may find themselves in a crisis or dangerous situation. And, i realize that I am splitting hairs with syntax and that the two terms are probably one-in-the-same and interchangable.

HOWEVER, at the moment I am truly borrowing trouble and I'd like to stop the thought process that my mind is generating. I note that I keep trying to distract myself with assorted tasks, mostly in the kitchen. I've made granola, hummus, prepared fish for dinner this evening, roasted almonds, walnuts, and sunflower seeds, emptied the dishwasher, taken care of laundry, read four weeks of a weekly newspaper........the list goes on and on. Why, I've even picked up a dustcloth. Now that is a true attempt at distraction! This works for the short-term, but then my mind keeps returning to the idea that I am borrowing trouble with.

I guess that I am faced with the prospect that I shall simply have to face the situation that I am dreading, open the door, run the flag up the flagpole and see who salutes.......all of those old saws. Still, I know, based on prior experiences, what the gist of this phone call will be like and I am not excited to initiate the call.

But then again, maybe there will be a different outcome from that which I am imagining. Who knows, perhaps in a few moments, I will be laughing at myself and all of my negative ruminations.

I guess I'll ruminate on that for a moment.

Ancora imparo