Sunday, August 30, 2009

Busted

I know I've blogged frequently, as of late, about grandchildren and grandparenting. This is because these are subjects near and dear to my heart, they've been front and center in my consciousness lately, and these topics are great fodder for posting material.

TLV and LS (Lil'Sis) were guests at our hacienda this weekend, along with their parents, of course. SO and I had some stretches of time where we had the GKs to ourselves, which was great fun. We got to read lots of books, watch a movie and eat popcorn, play with flashlights in dark rooms, lay on a quilt on the floor and make a baby smile and coo, talk like Elmo, eat cookies and hot dogs..........the list could go on and on!

As a grandparent, I try to be conscientious about following the family rules that have been established by TLV and LS's parents. After all, I do want to be asked 'back' as a babysitter! I even follow the rules when their parents are not watching.

But, and, yes, there is a but.........today the devil possessed my soul and I broke with procedure. Not only did I break with procedure but I tried to be sneaky about it, which probably wasn't the best example I could have set with TLV, but what the heck......he's only three and it involved a cookie! If ever a case could be made for an exception, this was it.

I thought I'd set up the perfect crime scene. TLV's parents were SUPPOSED to be busy getting ready to depart. Mother was SUPPOSED to have to feed LS, Father was SUPPOSED to be busy packing and Grandpa was SUPPOSED to be distracted with his new phone. TLV asked for milk to drink after our walk to the park. I thought this was a fine idea, but whoever heard of drinking milk without eating a cookie? Certainly not in my home! I dutifully got the milk for him then motioned for him to sit on the floor in the kitchen in a spot that I was confident would be out of the way from prying eyes. I found half of a monster cookie and handed it to him, whispering for him to quietly enjoy the cookie, which he then loudly pronounced tasted really good. A few seconds into our cookie caper, Mother out of the bedroom with LS, looked about and asked where TLV was. He answered, "Right here".

Busted.

Soon his father came up from the lower level, looked about and asked where TLV was. I kept trying to stand between TLV's hidden spot and the opening to the kitchen area, but it didn't work.

Busted again.

Finally, Grandpa came up from the lower level, looked about and asked, what else? "Where is TLV?"

Busted yet a third time.

I remain unapologetic, since my infraction involved milk and a cookie. The cookie had oatmeal and raisins in it. Doesn't that qualify as nutritious?

Ancora imparo