Tuesday, August 18, 2009

In Good Hands

Today I had lunch with a former student and, I can tell you that, if she is any indication of a future generation, our world is in good hands.

This was/is no surprise to me because this young woman was exceptional when I knew her as a student in middle school grades. It was reaffirming to hear for myself that as a college sophomore, she remains grounded personally, emotionally, and spiritually. Scholastically she has been and remains strong, and she discourses with adults just as easily now as she did when she was in her early teen years.

Her college choice was a careful and deliberate selection of a small university that would allow her the freedom to fully participate in her favorite sport as well as continue to play her instrument, neither of which is her declared major.

Obviously I do not know what the future will bring for this bright, articulate young woman, but I do know that she is in God's hands, by personal choice and by His choice. I left our lunch together affirmed that she is a beacon of promise to our country, its culture and its future and that she is not alone. She spoke freely of the challenge of maintaining goals, ethics, and morals despite the junk that society throws at her and others her age and stage. She spoke of the mask that most humans wear that belies what lies beneath and she spoke of her quest to achieve a socially-acceptable transparency for herself and others.

I am the better person for knowing such a remarkable young woman.

Ancora imparo