Thursday, August 27, 2009

Up-To-Date

This will absolutely be the silliest posting I've probably written so be patient with my excitement! All I can think about is the song, "Everything's Up To Date In Kansas City", from the musical, "Oklahoma", for that is how I feel.

I got a new cell phone today. I thought I was beyond getting excited about a new cell phone but I found that I am not. You would think that I came home with the latest and greatest in cell technology but that is not the case. I have no smart phone nor blackberry but I do have a full keyboard on which to type text messages and you would think I'd been given the keys to the kingdom.

My former phone was a flip-type phone and the flip-lid style and I never did play nicely together. About once a year I would flip my lid (that is figuratively, not literally) and the hinge would break so this time I declared that I did not want to be able to flip my lid. (My SO will like that!) Recently, my 'old' phone's lid did have a hinge malfunction and for the past month I've been limping along with a floppy lid. I got used to the floppy lid although it was very easy to lose a connection with someone because the lid would just flop shut. Yesterday, however, another piece broke off and the lid not only flopped at will but one side of the hinge came out and was hanging by the other side. Fortunately, a small, well-placed piece of duct tape kept the phone together until my SO and I got to the cell phone store this afternoon. As you can see, it was time for me to get a new cell phone.

My SO didn't exactly rush into buying a new cell phone, either. He'd had his, perhaps five years or longer. He has lots of bells and whistles on his because he can handle bells and whistles. I, on the other hand, will revel in my new phone that allows me to text more quickly and with TWO thumbs. I even got a low-volume texting plan!

I have truly arrived.

Ancora imparo