Sunday, August 9, 2009

Land-lubbered: North Channel Part Three

Dear Readers:

As you can read, we are tethered to a dock for yet another day. Tonight's weather forecast is dismal and tomorrow's is worse. Tomorrow's predicts a one-hundred percent chance of rain and wind up to twenty knots. Not ideal for being out 'on the hook'.

Today brings another learning curve on achieving a certain level of patience, serenity and the ability to self-amuse.

The ability to entertain one's self is crucial to one's peace of mind. This is a concept that I have always been aware of but the lesson is being driven home with force, at the moment. Capt. SO is busying himself with chart-reading, chart-making and way-point entries. Besides, I do firmly believe that I am the only person responsible for making me happy.

No one else holds that responsibility. Furthermore, one could rightfully ask me "Just what is your problem?" I'm sitting on a beautiful boat, in a picturesque Canadian setting, on a serene summer's day. I've walked the downtown streets, eaten the freshest-possible homemade frozen yogurt I've ever consumed, and now I'm relaxing within the air-conditioned confines of my boat's interior. Just what is my problem?

That is a good question - one to which I do not have a very satisfactory answer. I guess I'll get out my trusty Ipod and exercise mat. I'll exercise my way to a conclusion!

Ancora imparo