Saturday, August 8, 2009

Disconnecting: North Channel Part Two

Being electronically separated from the internet and cable television can be challenging. If the separation occurs due to a vacation, as in my case, the first twenty-four hours or so are relatively painless because there are many different activities and tasks to keep one occupied. The second twenty-four hours may bring slight withdrawal pangs but those can be alleviated by reading a book, which is what I did. I had so many pangs that I read an entire paperback in that time period.

The third day, which is what I am now on, has presented more distinctive reactions. I have my laptop, which has been rendered totally useless as far as internet access. Last night, I had to put the computer into its case so I could not see it. This morning, Capt. SO brought it back out so he could look up a file and it remained in sight on the table. My arms and fingers were strangely drawn toward the keyboard but what purpose would that serve? I proceeded to fill my time with routine galley maintenance tasks, we did some shopping in the quaint downtown of Gore Bay, Ontario and then came back to the boat for a late lunch. It was, at this point, that my mind was desperately grasping for its meaning in life. (I am so dramatic!) Searching for my Zen, I got out my exercise mat and turned to my I-Pod for sanctuary. With the volume turned up and the beat pulsing through my head, I took my body through its badly needed paces in a combination of Yoga, Pilates, and old-fashioned floorwork.

I can feel my electronic disconnection slowly taking place.

It must be five o'clock somewhere in the world............

Ancora imparo