Monday, August 10, 2009

Grip On Reality: North Channel Part Four

OK, I've been away from reality far too long. How do I know this? Read on.

We've now spent three nights at the same marina in Gore Bay, Ontario due to weather-related conditions. Do not misunderstand me - I am not complaining. With unsettled weather conditions, heavy rain, wind, thunder and lightning, being connected to a dock is the best place for a boater to be.

HOWEVER, when the weather is inclement and you spend hours at a time indoors, 'below deck', there can be the tendency to go stir crazy. Yesterday, our third day here, passed quite quickly - what with a power walk, three walks to the downtown, a trip to the library to check on email, and a movie to watch onboard last night. I thought I was doing fine........until this morning.

I walked briskly to the platform, greeting individuals along the way with a nod of the head or a cheery 'hello'. Arriving at the steps, I mounted them with grace and ease, then looked out over the dais, speech on the tip of my tongue, ready to deliver...................

Then I realized that I had only traversed the docks, garbage bag in hand, and had walked up the steps to the large garbage receptacle and was simply looking out over the the top of the container. Talk about a crash back to earth in terms of reality! I didn't know if I should laugh at myself or seek out a Canadian psychologist!

My speech is still prepared, although I'll save it for another occasion. For now, I think I'd better go for a brisk 'walk-a-boot'. (I've been in Canada too long.)

Ancora imparo