Sunday, August 23, 2009

Plausible Parables

I may be struck down for this statement but I think I am too literal for some of the Biblical parables.

My SO and I were in attendance at an adult Sunday School class this morning where another of the parables was examined, studied, discussed, dissected and discoursed. I added a few thoughts to the flowing commentary but mostly listened with fascination and viewed the DVD segments with amusement and skepticism. My comrades in study were seemingly deeply engrossed and I felt detached and guilty about my skepticism.

The DVD presenter has long and distinguished credentials concerning theology, which I do not have, nor ever will have so my thoughts are most likely childish and churlish. But as I sat and absorbed the DVD as well as the Biblical text itself I was left wondering how all of the conclusions were reached. What I heard was a lot of presupposition about just what the Biblical text meant, with human details added that were not originally present. Where do these 'experts' come up with these conclusions? While I appreciate the gentleman's insights, I found I could not embrace the allegories and suppositions while the plain text was right in front of me.

I pray that the good Lord will forgive my tendency towards over-literalism. I need all the forgiveness I can get!

Ancora imparo