Friday, August 7, 2009

North Channel Blogging

The regular followers of this blog know that my SO and I recently took our boat into the North Channel of Lake Huron, Canadian waters. Because I had zero, reliable internet service, I typed my postings and saved them in My Documents daily. I will begin to add those to by blog site.

Day One, July 21, 2009

"The Seagull Has Landed"

I hope the pun of this title is not lost on anyone. I felt that, with our arrival in a marina after seven and one half hours of motoring on two Great Lakes AND the commemoration of the first human landing on the moon, this title was appropriate and timely. Whether this blog gets posted tonight is anyone's guess since my air card is working at a speed only slightly faster than the first printing press that utilized chisel and stone.

My impression of this day is that I am very happy to be secured to a dock. We had a safe, uneventful crossing, which, in terms of boating, is exactly what you want to occur. We did, however, have two new experiences while crossing: Navigating our way through hundreds of sailboats on their last leg of the Chicago-to-Mackinac sailboat race AND the head wind on our bow that created four-footers constantly smacking the boat during our last two hours of motoring. After arriving at the marina, I opened the door of our little refrigerator and most everything slid out onto the floor. The boat took a good pounding, as did we.

Our encounter with the Chicago-Mac race, as it is referred to in these parts, was further enhanced by the Kamikaze pilots of the Mackinac Island car ferries that run to and from the mainland as well as the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Hundreds of sailboats, all tacking this way and that, plus the car ferries kept Capt. SO on high alert.

I will sign off and eat my dinner that is now scrambled from being tossed about in the refrigerator. Strawberries, potatoes, and pork loin shouldn't be too incompatible mixed up. Besides, it all ends up in the same place, anyway.

Ancora imparo