Saturday, August 15, 2009

Linked and Synced

Upon posting this blog entry, I will have officially passed the two-hundred mark. This was a detail I missed when I posted the two-hundredth entry, a milestone of personal achievement. I remember when I wrote about posting number one hundred and how proud I was that I had been able to summon the internal discipline to write almost every day. Just like the motto of the national mail service, I strive to write regardless of rain, snow, sun, sleet, lack of sleep, house guests, or garbage pick-up day. I threw in the latter, poking fun at myself and how easy it could become to cast aside my goal of daily writing.

Finding topics to muse and chide about is seldom difficult. With the world's information systems being linked and synced to a point of entanglement, in my view, it is almost impossible to live with even minimal contact with the world. Between the internet, television (both network and cable), magazines, newspapers, billboards, cameras and cell phones that are now mini-computers, all of which can be interconnected, one has to really work at ignoring the information highway.

Even our government is working at interconnecting everything under its great umbrella. The National Mall in Washington D.C., which I have written about before, is adding yet another tenant to its list of lease-holders. We have seen this great mall become a used-car lot and now it will open another door to become a clearing house for health insurance. Today's newspaper had an editorial about our struggling US Postal Service and how government intervention may become necessary. Where will the Great Illusionist and his Illusioneers stop?

Hubris is alive and well in our nation's capital, legislature, and Supreme Court system. I just hope and pray that someone doesn't find a way to link and sync us all with hubris. I'm certain that there is a sub-committee, somewhere, charged with the task to do just that.

Ancora imparo