Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fool

Ah, yes. I qualify as an April fool. I went to bed last night thinking that I would most certainly wake up this morning and the world would look different......and so would I. Before falling asleep, I even gave my SO some insight on how I thought the world would be different today.

Alas and alack, when I awakened everything (including me) looked the same. I even have the same song loop from my I-pod running through my head that has been plaguing me for about forty-eight hours. Since I am locked in a "Groundhog's Day" sequence, I'll have to conjure up my own life's screen play, if only for one day.

In my screen play, I am in my mid-thirties. My children can verbalize thoughts, desires and dislikes, as well as dress themselves. My SO owns this nice little fishing boat and our family takes it out on the Fox River or on day trips/vacations where we eat bologna sandwiches with potato chips while we dink our night crawlers in lake waters, hoping to catch the day's evening meal. An ice cream cone wraps up the outing very nicely before we fall, exhausted but happy, into our beds for the night. My mom is still alive. I can talk to her on the phone or enjoy visits by her at our home or take the family to see my parents, where I can touch and hug them.

We have built our final home in the northeastern Wisconsin area and we are so proud of it. The school system is great and the children are doing well in school. We love our neighborhood and we have sidewalks everywhere. Such a luxury! I decide to return to school - at first thinking I'll get a second bachelors degree in Electronic Media but state educational requirement changes are in the wind and I see possibilities for music openings occurring again so I return to school to acquire a vocal music certification. God is good and a part-time position opens up that parlays into a full-time teaching job.

My body is in its prime and I can jog. No gray hair and not very many wrinkles. My vision is still excellent with contact eye lenses. My local YWCA has great aerobic dance classes and my closet is filled with cutsie leotards and matching leg warmers. I have the world by its tail.

But I did wake up this morning and remember that it is April first, the day when we expect practical jokes to be played on us. I looked in the mirror and scared myself. Next I bent over and had trouble straightening back up. Then I started to make a list but couldn't remember what I wanted to include on the list. I got up from my desk, thinking I'd read the newspaper to clear my head but walked past Cranky Kitty who swatted at my leg as I passed by. Then I realized that I wasn't in Kansas any more.

I think I'll switch to tomfoolery for today. Maybe it will be more rewarding.....certainly less predictable!

Happy April First.

Ancora imparo