Friday, April 9, 2010

Are You A Medium?

This blog title has nothing to do with clothing size, nor am I inquiring if you communicate with the afterworld. Today's posting topic is about how you like your steak cooked.

I don't want to insult any reader or hurt anyone's feelings, but I just do not understand those people in this world who would ruin a perfectly good cut of beef by asking to have it well-done. For me, too-done is any piece of beef, lamb, venison, moose, caribou, or elk that that is warmer than barely-cooked. I was raised with parents who believed that basically any type of meat - that wasn't pork or poultry - should never be grilled, broiled, or pan-fried past medium-rare and that might even have been considered over-done by my father. As we all know, life-long eating habits are formed in our childhoods - good, bad or both - and my preference for rare or medium- rare has remained.

I remember there were people's homes that Dad wouldn't eat steak at, declaring that they cooked the @#^& out of everything. (My dad's words, not mine.) I have dearly-beloved relatives that, even though I can't eat beef any longer, I still would not want to let within a country mile of any respectable cut of beef. If you come to eat steak at my home, I'll prepare it as you request, even if you mistakenly think that medium-to-well-done is the best.....although I'll be shaking my head all the while I over-cook your meat. Just think.....you are missing all of that wonderful meat juice, left on the serving platter, that could be drizzled over your potato, rice, noodles, bread, etc.

Finally, if your stomach can stand for you to read any further, I'll leave you with a few more tasty ideas, some of which might take you to meet (homophone intended) your Maker sooner than later but what a way to go!


  • Steak tartar. In Green Bay, Wisconsin they call this cannibal sandwiches. I can't imagine why!
  • Cubed up tenderloin steak for fondue that never makes it into the fondue pot.
  • Ground round or ground sirloin that is only in the frying pan for a few minutes. A little salt and pepper and my kids and I thought we were eating caviar.
  • Lastly, and this is tasty but unrelated to eating meat: raw cookie dough and soft egg yolks.
Sorry if I offended any reader's palate or stomach although some of you may head straight for the meat market!

Bon appetit and Ancora imparo