Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Echo Chamber

Somewhere in the last four or five hours, one of my ears has become plugged and the resulting effect is that everything from my right ear sounds as if I am in an echo chamber or a very large assembly hall that is empty. It is an odd sensation, rather like having a dozen or so cotton balls stuffed inside my hearing canal.

I remember a night in 1972, in California, when I had my last severe ear ache and my ear drum broke....somewhere during the wee hours of the morning. Up to that point, the pain, as Bill Cosby would say, "was tremendous". I had been trying to read the book, Dr. Zhivago, but after that experience, I could never bring myself to finish the novel. The association with pain was just too great. Too bad, too. I know I've missed a good read!

Back to topic.......after my ear drum broke, I couldn't hear out of that ear for nearly a month and, as my hearing returned, the echo chamber effect was very much in place, much like it is now. Imagine a recording being played very slowly and how exaggerated the words and sounds would be. This is what I am experiencing.

So I will leave you with a sample to read of how I am hearing at the moment:

D o h a v e a w o n d e r f u l e v e n i n g.

A n c o r a i m p a r o