Friday, April 23, 2010

Discombobulated Dialect

Our English language is impossible, making spelling a difficult, if not frustrating, experience. I think of the immigrant who comes to this country, willing and eager to learn our language so that assimilation is easier and citizenship is more rewarding. Then I am reminded of our enigmatic English language that many native-born Americans struggle with.

For instance, consider the following words and their phonetic pronunciation:

agree (ah-greeeee)
debris (de-breeee)
hubris (hue-briss)
pedigree (peh-dih-greee)
melee (may-lay)


Need I list more?

I understand agree and pedigree. These words end in 'ee', which we are accustomed to pronouncing with the 'eeeee' sound. In our phonetic method of teaching reading, we learn that 'ee' equates to 'eeeeeee'. But then we add in the component of French-origin words; i.e. debris, pronounced deh-breeeee and, I, too understand that after taking four years of French in high school. Why, oh why, then, must hubris break the pattern? Why do we not pronounce 'hubris' like 'hue-breeeee', instead of the illogical 'hue-briss'?

I believe that, somewhere in the past scholarly halls of learning in early centuries, there must have been a bit too much imbibing of wine whilst early dictionaries, complete with pronunciation tools, were compiled and written.

After doing all of this worldly word wondering, I think it is I who needs the wine. Only then will comprehension come to me.......or I won't care.

Ancora imparo