Friday, April 2, 2010

Is There A Doctor In The House?

Disclaimer:
A few days ago my posting topic was about my car and her new health-care provider. I have been advised that it was too cynical and vitriolic, but hey, I'm not backing down from my position or point of view. If I offended any readers, I apologize, but I will not be editing the content of that posting at this time.

Today, however, is about another kind of doctor that I needed just yesterday, as a matter of fact. There is no vitriol or cynicism here, just relief, praise, and thanks.

Despite my vigilant efforts at practicing safe internet activity, my laptop acquired a very nasty, malignant and malicious virus yesterday morning. From nearly the moment that I powered it up for the day, I knew something was amiss, but I wasn't quite sure what. Microsoft is famous for sending through updates that slow down computers so it is not unusual for my laptop to run sluggishly while something mysterious runs in the 'background'. After being online, for about an hour, I began receiving error/ warning messages that popped up continuously in my lower right-hand corner. Along with messages that told me I had been infected with a virus, an ad kept appearing for anti-spyware software that I needed to purchase to combat my virus. The error messages also said that my firewall and threat software had been breached......overrun by the virus.......which was true. Once I realized that my laptop's security had been breached - big time - I shut it down and called my computer doctor.

He had some flexibility in his schedule and he came within the hour. I love to watch him work because his fingers fly.......and accurately, too! He knows how to get into the guts of a computer and do diagnostic work. It is like watching my blood work, surgery and recovery all at once. This virus, which is called the XP Virus, is a very virulent one and had wormed its way into so many hidden files that even Dr. Computer had his work cut out for him. Concerned about how I 'got' this virus, I asked him the quintessential question, "How did this happen? I practice safe internet activity!" He told me that it can come in through pop-up ads, even though I may not open the ad. Very concerning. Internet hackers are sneaky and malevolent.

Which is why we all need a computer doctor on speed-dial. The internet is an amazing 'place' but it can also be filled with potholes, black holes, quagmires and snake pits.

I know. I was there, but for a brief time yesterday.

On this Easter weekend, I hope the only hole you discover is a rabbit hole.

Ancora imparo