Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Takin' Care of Business

I've done a lot of schlepping, as of late. Up and down stairs, in and out of the car, running errands, dashing into stores trying to locate the 'thing' I simply MUST have, attempting to gather information for this and that meeting, dealing with uncooperative individuals........I'm schlepped out.

After my 'aha' moment when I realized this, I immediately began searching for the remedy to my self-induced, temporary burnout. One woman I'm acquainted with, who is well-known for her in-your-face bluntness and forthrightness, blurted out, "How can anyone who is retired be burned out? You just need more to do." I began asking myself if this could be true?

Desiring to be proactive, I took a mental inventory of my skill set(s?), hoping against hope to find at least one that might transport me away to another place and time and I think I found a possibility: Organic morel mushroom farming. I know there is a need for more of these fungi because their whereabouts is always a highly guarded secret among morel aficionados. That, plus the fact that dried morels sell for ten dollars an ounce at the supermarket and I can see a true incentive to explore this idea.

I grew up close to a geographic area where morels were abundant. My parents and I would traipse through woods in the spring, around Mothers' Day, gathering large shopping bags full of the tasty treats. They were so plentiful that we could gorge ourselves on the morels, along with heaping bowls of scrambled eggs, still having enough to freeze multiple quart containers to enjoy throughout the winter months.

I'm very excited about the possibility of this new venture. My deck can accommodate one large, raised-bed mushroom 'field'. I'll begin research on organic morel mushroom farming tomorrow. I can see the marketing strategy already. Today - my deck.....tomorrow - the world! Ooh, I'll need designer bib overalls and.........

Do you suppose I should mention this to my SO first?

Ancora imparo