Thursday, April 29, 2010

Choices, Co-existance and Cartoons

The letter 'C' loomed largely in my day, just like the songs from Sesame Street that feature each alphabet letter. When I sat back and looked over this day, I was struck with three words that each begin with "C".

The word 'choice' came early this morning as I was at a business, having a maintenance task performed that should take thirty minutes or less. I had gone prepared thinking my time at this business might take up to two hours so I had plenty with me to do, including writing notes, making lists, reading the newspaper and I also had a book with me. Upon arriving at this business, a subsequent conversation ensued and I learned that my time there would only be about thirty minutes, as I previously stated. I was thoroughly immersed in my tasks when I realized that the thirty minutes had elapsed into well over an hour. Becoming curious as to why this was taking so long, I gathered my things and went to the service department. I could see that my vehicle was parked outside so I knew that the technician was finished and that meant that my bill should be ready at the cashier's window. When I inquired about my bill, the cashier looked blankly at me, shook her head and said she had seen nothing about my car. The service department representative came flying out of a door and said, "I've been on the phone for forty minutes with a pre-approval interview." No real apology, just a statement.

My first reaction was to have a 'Rumplestiltskin' moment but I made a split-second choice to be polite and civilized, even though I was furious with her. She introduced me to the cashier as "the very patient Patty Anne". I didn't feel patient but I chose to look as if I was.

On the subject of co-existence, the mama bird (that built the nest up under our deck) and I have developed a peaceful co-existence. She no longer flies away when I work in the free weight-area that is directly in her view. Her little neck cranes, stiff as can be, as she stares at me but she does not leave her duty as the 'egg-warmer'. She is a good mom and has finally figured out that I pose no threat to her or her little egg.

Finally, there were two cartoons in the comics section that really caught my eye and attention.

"For Better Or For Worse" had the mother taking her supposedly very sick child to the doctor. The mother-character has obvious concern on her face.....until the nurse comes to the door and calls the child's name. The child promptly smiles, leaps up and yells, "Yah".

How many times has that same scenario repeated itself over the centuries as we parents figure that a child must be ill. Well, we're pretty sure. Not wanting to be labeled a 'bad' parent, we make the obligatory car ride and take the child to the doctor, breathing an audible sigh of relief when the doctor proclaims that there is, indeed, something wrong with the child.

The other cartoon was "Sally Forth" and the character "Ted Forth" sees his new, corporate photo ID for the first time and is appalled to see that "they've taken my youth away!" How I can identify with that response! Those years do sneak up on us, don't they? One day we really are young, the next thing we know, we feel young, and then the inevitable photo is taken that proves we are no longer young, but rather 'long-in-the-tooth'.

So what are my take-aways from today?

I'm out of patience, I feel guilty about all of the times I was relieved to hear that my children were actually ill, and my teeth are getting longer as I type.

Ancora imparo