Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Peaceful Coexistence?

My little 'friends' are back.....the bumblebee-type, flying insects that I just learned are carpenter bees. I'm not particularly pleased by their re-appearance. They discovered a homey place in our front shrubbery landscaping last summer and I was hoping against hope they would not return.....but return they have.

I just read about them in a series of articles from the University of Kansas. Mostly passive, they tend to come and go from their ground hole in our mulch with little fanfare or warfare......thus far. I do weed out there and I am not thrilled about sharing tight quarters with creatures that have stingers. I keep thinking, what if I find a weed too close to their hole? Are they going to appreciate my lurking and loitering about as I muss up the ground around their entrance by probing and plucking out a weed? And, no, leaving the weed is not an option. Plus, their landing approach and flight path are right over the main walkway to our front door. I would re-locate their little colony but that is not possible. I don't believe there are carpenter-bee hutches that can be purchased like bird feeders can be, so I am at a loss as to how to proceed.

Furthermore, I'm not wild about eradicating them, either. I know they do good works with pollination and, perhaps, even contribute to the over-all health of the shrubs. They make a positive contribution to the landscaping 'society' around my neighborhood but - gosh, golly, gee - do they have to take up housekeeping at my front door?

I'm reminded of the NIMBY (Not-in-my-backyard) attitude that pervades our nation, even world. We all recognize the need for waste-treatment plants, landfills, alternative energy solutions - i.e. nuclear power plants/atomic power plants, missile defense systems and the like. Similarly, we Americans love our beef, poultry and pork but not mega-farming operations. Do we want any of the aforementioned in our backyards? Most certainly not! We want the benefits but not the smells or possible dangers that could result from close proximity.......to us.

Likewise, I am conflicted about the possibility of my peaceful coexistence with the carpenter bees. I know this 'issue' is a long way from the weighty issues of large livestock and poultry farms and national security, but this is, after all, my front yard and I'll be the one who gets stung......if anyone gets stung.

I know! I'll create a sign that says, "Give peace a chance." I wonder if the bees are literate or illiterate?

Ancora imparo