Monday, April 19, 2010

Misdirected Attention

Allow me to verbalize an annoyance. I know, I know......I have many but this just might be one that others can identify with.

I am all for the recognition of students. Especially when the recognition is well-deserved. As you may remember, I have voiced my concern regarding grade inflation because, in the end, it does no favors for a student. Grade inflation is like insincere praise and I do believe that today's students are aware that grade inflation is prevalent. Even fawning parents comprehend the phenomenon, although they may outwardly celebrate, inwardly they are aware that Joey or Suzy did not really make the grade.......literally as well as figuratively.

I particularly applaud the recognition of non-sporting achievements. Our society and schools do a spectacular job of recognizing athletes - both male and female - no lack of acknowledgement can ever be a point of criticism on this issue. But, and there is a but......our society and schools, in general, are not as quick to recognize students who excel scholastically or fine-artfully. (My word.) Today's newspaper had a featured article that speaks to this matter.

A sports writer's column detailed where outstanding area athletes, both male and female, had signed letters of intent to attend. The article set up the subject as if these excelling young people were headed to college and pro careers afterward......only to detail that, for the majority of the students reported upon, they would be attending junior colleges and other, similarly ranked institutions of higher education.

I am not here to diminish, in any way, the importance of junior colleges. They are vital stepping stones, in the higher education system, that offer high quality and affordable college experiences. What did amaze me was the writer proclaiming how great it is that outstanding area athletes have signed with.......junior colleges.

What does it take and why is no newspaper writer heralding where the stellar academic students have signed letters of intent to attend? Or the gifted thespian, musician, or artist? Many, many of these students receive full, four-year scholarships to attend MAJOR universities and where is the banner headline for them?

It would seem that our collective attentions have been misdirected by the venue that simply brings in the most revenue.......sports. I do not portend to take away any achievement by the high school athlete - I am just advocating for similar trumpet voluntaries to be sounded for those students who excel in non-sporting areas.

Hmmm, let's count:

Sports: 1
Music, art, theatre, math, sciences, English, etc.: 6, at least

Where is the balance?

Ancora imparo