Monday, April 26, 2010

Life Through Filters

This morning's sunlight streaming through the trees combined to create one of my favorite sights.....an odd, but beautifully filtered light that seems to float into the windows of our sunroom. I'm certain it has been present in all of the past years we've lived here but, for some reason this spring, it is as if I'm noticing it for the first time. The phenomenon lasts for about an hour and a half, as the sun slowly rises in the horizon. During that time my mind seems more at peace and I am inspired to read, contemplate, cogitate and feel more relaxed. Dusk seems to have the same affect on me but, of course, the visual effect is much different then.

Today's filtered light made me think of other 'filters' in my life. We all have these 'filters' - some seen and others invisible to the naked eye. I thought of the essential, mechanical filters that keep my life running smoothly......the furnace filter, water filter, vacuum-sweeper filter, the filter on my refrigerator's water supply, important and vital filters under the hood of our vehicles, and the all-important filter in my coffee maker. Much of what I do or experience during the day and night is controlled, or greatly affected, by filters. Some of the filters can be cleaned when dirt causes them to become ineffective but others have to be replaced. Knowing when a filter needs cleaning or replacing is very important, as is knowing how to either clean or replace the filter. If the filter requires a complete replacement, I must know what brand to buy and where to obtain it.

And yet, I have invisible filters in my life that I sense I either ignore totally or randomly choose to pay attention to. Like the filtered light that floats in through my windows, my inner filters are more subtle in their placement and seem to require little thought......but it is these same filters that carry more influence for and to me than any mechanical filter will ever. My brain in my most powerful inner filter. It can and does - if I allow it - filter what I say, think and do. My heart filters what I feel and who I feel for. My 'gut' filter serves me well, guiding how I spend my time and who I spend it with.

Thus far, in my life, my filters - both inner and mechanical - have served me well, but for some reason, this morning's filtered light made me ultra-aware of the need to attend to all of my life-filters, to listen to them, to clean them, to monitor the feedback they give me and to honor my filters and not override them due to carelessness, disregard, or inattention.

There are a few filters that I have manually turned off over the past few years and I need to turn them on.......again. Some will crank into service easily and quickly, others will need persuasion and massaging. A few will require a stern, self-talking-to.

I'm ready.

Ancora imparo