Friday, April 9, 2010

Little Girls Do Rule.....

Little girls do rule......at least at the department store. Princess Leia's mother and I were in separate department stores - in different cities - on the same day and we both came to the same conclusion: Little girls' dresses - clothing, for that matter - is so much more colorful and stylish than boys' clothing.

My friend and I went to Macy's after lunch yesterday just to 'check out' what was on sale. She loves the children's clothing department because she is always looking for clothes for her ten-month old god-daughter. (Did I mention that I am a sucker for any children's department?)
Wanting to be a good friend, I could not refuse her request and so I let myself be led to the grandmother-bait section of Macy's.

We had a great time browsing and then browsing some more before buying. To be sure, the boys' section had fine-looking things but, oh, the girl's section was like eye-candy. The garment industry goes ga-ga over girl's clothes, doesn't it? The colors tend to be more vibrant and there are so many varying styles that you cannot possibly digest them all at one glance, which is why grandmothers need to spend so much time looking. Girl's styles range from frilly to sassy to mod/hip to athletic/active. I've always been a pragmatist when it comes to purchasing clothing, whether it was for my own kids, myself, or now grandchildren and I prefer to buy clothes that launder well (i.e. don't need ironing or don't look as if they should have been ironed) and that don't show dirt, grime and smudges. The whites, light pinks, pale yellows and soft-blue hues are delightful to look at but any active baby or toddler can soil them in an instant - often with foods that leave stains that are hard if not impossible to remove. I continually resist the urge to buy only black, dark gray, or navy for my grandchildren. No need for Grandmother to encourage the Goth look at any age.

I had my time sorting through smocking, ribbons and bows, pleats, velvet, Little Kitty insignias, and matching tights. And a grand time, it was.

Ancora imparo