Saturday, December 19, 2009

Proliferation of Plastic

Plastic is everywhere! Our nation (and world) is being inundated with plastic. The creators and manufacturers of plastic must be laughing all the way to the bank and off-shore money accounts.

Lately, I have seen more plastic containers for food and storage than I ever imagined could be possible. In my current remote location, I am sleeping next to an eye-catching, wheeled storage container that has about twelve drawers. This would be great for the crafty person to keep craft supplies in.....as long as she did not have toddlers. Toddlers could easily pull out all of the drawers and would love dumping the contents onto the floor, then playing with everything.

Plastic bags.......have you ever seen such an assortment and array at the grocery store? It seems that each week I shop, I find newcomers to the plastic bag aisle. (Before continuing, I must confess that I am a lover of plastic, zippered bags: small, medium, large, extra-large and extra-extra large. I find multiple uses for all of the sizes almost daily. The joke at my place is that if you sit in one spot too long, you may end up in a zippered, plastic storage bag.) Zippered, plastic storage bags have become an 'almost' staple in today's modern kitchen and home.

We drink from plastic, we eat off plastic, we eat with plastic, we cover our tables with plastic, our cars' bumpers are made from plastic, etc. Plastic comes in soft, pliable forms and hard, almost indestructible forms. Our children's toy makers rely on plastic and the lens in our eyeglasses are made from this substance. Toothbrushes and hairbrushes are manufactured using plastic......even some surgical stitching material is made from plastic.

Perhaps the most famous, yet controversial, form of plastic is the kind you slide through a smallish, rectangular machine. After sliding, you punch some buttons, make an electronic purchase, and a white slip of paper slides out, reminding you that your balance has just shrunk.....again. During these Holly Daze, retailers are hoping that our love affair with plastic will continue and, even, thrive. Why, a politician was recently quoted saying that for Americans to not 'use' their plastic was un-American. He (it was a he) reminds me of the television commercial currently being shown about a man who is in a "state of 'un' ". The commercial character and the politician are mostly just 'uncouth'.

Plastic has its place. I'm sitting on it right now and my computer shell is undoubtedly indebted to the stuff. It is entirely possible that without it, my aqua RV would be much too heavy and would either sink or get worse gas mileage than ever........which would simply mean that my SO and I would have to use our plastic........and the cycle would go on and on.

I do have some standards, though. I draw the line on plastic fruit, vegetables, cookies, ice cream, popcorn and chocolate.

Stand with me on this, please.

Ancora imparo