Saturday, December 5, 2009

I Can See Clearly Now

In 1972, the recording artist, Johnny Nash, wrote and released the song, "I Can See Clearly Now". Memorable lines from the lyrics are, "I can see clearly now, the rain is gone. I can see all obstacles in my way. Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind. It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day."

One of my many annoying habits is to constantly hear melodies in my head from old tunes and sing them during a current vignette. You would be surprised how many lyrics pop into one's head during the hours and days of life as we know it here on earth!

This morning was no exception. My desk and surrounding office space has been littered with the ever-expanding clutter associated with the Holly Daze's shopping, shipping and receiving. As a big on-line shopping fan, the process goes like this: I shop, a business receives my order and, subsequently, ships the order to moi.

Having 'had it' with the non-organizational appearance and functionality of my desk, I set out, today, with the goal of being able to see and touch at least seventy-five percent of my desk-top surface. Is there a measurable performance outcome to this goal? Yes, if only able to be measured in my perception! There are now large, open spaces of glass on my desk top.

Alas, I digress. Having achieved my intended goal, the Nash song came to mind, (with just a few lyric changes) which I will share with my readers - some of whom may identify with my feeble attempt at humor.

I can clearly now, my desk is clean.
I removed all obstacles in my way.
Gone are the papers, pens, pencils, receipts, clipped recipes, birthday cards waiting to be sent, shopping lists, coffee cups, cough drops, paper clips, cell-phone charger, flute case and banana bread crumbs that had me blind......
It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day.

And it is! Now I can move to the important 'stuff' of December: Baking Christmas cookies!

Ancora imparo