Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Interrupted Reverie

Stolen moments of time, in the early morning hours, are always special for me.

When the children were young, those few snippets of minutes could seem like an entire day, and I could use fifteen minutes as if it were an hour. Later, when I was working full time, those before-dawn times were usually spent cramming in one more home or school-related task, the completion of which I was certain would make my day a bit easier. Looking back, I am not certain that easier is the most accurate descriptor. I know now that I just got more done as a result of less sleep.

I think I am still sleep-deprived.

Stealing early morning time alone continues to feed my need for personal peace and space. It is as if I am cheating the world by declaring that darkness equates choice........choice of how I spend my time rather than the world deciding.

This morning was no exception. Since sleep was evading and elusive, I dragged my still sleep-yearning body out of bed, got dressed and thought I would get my muscle-coaxing movements (exercise) out of the way. Afterward, feeling smug and stretched out, I sensed a fleeting feeling of peace and goodwill toward mankind, and thought I would continue my personal reverie by composing today's blog posting. As I sat down at my laptop, closed my eyes, took a series of deep breaths - preparing to let my creative juices flow - there came this awful, unmistakable sound of feline retching. Through a solid-wood door, mind you. For those readers who have a cat, you will instantly relate to what I am describing. If you do not have a cat, consider yourself one of the lucky ones who will never hear a cat relieving itself of a hairball.

Feline hairball-releasing is rarely quiet and seldom is confined to one area. Cats tend to move as they retch, spreading their discarded, internal offal in as wide an area as possible. This process is accompanied by what seems to be the loudest, most disgusting noise known to the human ear. My cat finishes her performance by loud, primal meowing, designed to ensure that her owners understand and can identify with her discomfort. When she is done, she moves to her kitty-bed and curls up fast asleep, leaving the humans wide-eyed and unable to return to any meaningful rest.

And, thusly, my reverie was interrupted by Grumpy Kitty, who I am certain plotted this action to coincide with my quiet time.

At least she gave me the inspiration for blog content today................

Ancora imparo