Friday, December 18, 2009

Old School

As the name of this blog, Ancora imparo, suggests, still I am learning......though perhaps not quickly enough. Recent events and conversations have caused me to ponder whether or not this old dog may not be able to learn new tricks. I've spent time over the last twelve months having the opportunity to observe people younger than myself in their educational leadership roles and I have come to the conclusion that teaching styles may have changed enough to make mine seem from the Land Before Time.

Just a few days ago an educator asked me, "Do you miss this?", and I quickly answered, "Yes." Later, when I had time to reflect on my response, I began to wonder just how this square peg would fit in today's round hole. Not too long ago, I attended an event where I was appalled at the attire the participants were allowed to wear. My SO leaned over and whispered in my ear that I was 'old school'. I retorted back that he could put a period right after the word 'old'.

And so, I pose the questions: Do you think that 'old' means odd or outdated? Is new always better? Does different equate to 'preferred'? Does disorganization encourage creativity or foster respect? Conversely, if a person is organized and is respected in his or her field, does that mean that the people working with that person have their creative juices diluted or diminished?

My answers to my own questions are firmly - no, no, no, no, no.

If you are feeling 'old school' today, despaireth not. Let us hold our heads high and with dignity. After all, we are still learning.

Ancora imparo