Thursday, December 10, 2009

Fascintating to Whom?

I'm always annoyed when lists are made that supposedly speak for me and my preferences. Even with surveys, if the survey was conducted to identify a prevailing opinion, a percentage of those surveyed will not have their viewpoint acknowledged. A well-known, pop-culture magazine publishes a yearly edition of its opinion of the sexiest men alive. I've seen some of the past choices and think, "He needs a shave and a haircut!"

Ah, yes. Each to his/her own.

Then along comes Barbara Walters' annual television special about her and her handlers' opinions regarding the Ten Most Fascinating People.......to which I want to respond, "Fascinating to whom?" What or who is fascinating to one person will most certainly not be fascinating to another. How can the producers of that show presume to speak for me and millions of others regarding the very subjective topic of fascination?

I'll be presumptive and pass on a list of people or categories of people that fascinate me. Maybe my list will generate conversation, twitters, or emails!

  • Individuals whose actions do not merit receiving awards
  • Drivers who ride your bumper when the roadways are snow-covered and slippery
  • School principals
  • Men and women whose career is serving on corporate boards of directors
  • Public figures who think their private behaviors, moves, and actions can stay private
  • Educational administrators who force or encourage inflated grades
  • People who think that wills and trusts are just 'for others'
  • Parents who refuse to believe that their children could misbehave
  • Shoppers who cut in line in front of others
  • Shoppers who drive or park their grocery carts in the middle of the aisles
  • Toddlers, pre-school age children and middle-schoolers
  • Grandparents
There you have my list. I'd love to hear who would be on yours. If you have coffee or share a meal with others in the near future, toss out the question of "Who fascinates you?" and see where the conversation takes you. I'll guarantee you'll not be bored!

Ancora imparo