Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Year Of The Ox

Watching the movie "The Bucket List" gave way to my question - what are the things I haven't done that I would like to do? I don't want to go through the rest of my life regreting not having done this or that. And, I discovered, there is a mental list taking shape - my 'bucket list', if you will.

At the top of my to-do list, for years now, has been to re-unite with some high school friends that I've always considered my true friends in good ol' IHS. Year after year I'd say to myself, "Gee, I wish we could have a reunion." or "I really should try to get in touch with these individuals." And, that would be as far as the thought would go.

Then I saw the movie and the inspiration clicked in my head like a light switch. It took several weeks to search, seek and gather the information but I was able to find sources who could lead me to my former classmates. Just this morning, one of them returned an email that I had sent several weeks ago. I really had not expected to hear from this person and was thrilled to get the correspondence. He said that this is the Chinese Year of the Ox and that a symbol of the Year of the Ox is to reconnect with people from your past. Now that is kismet, I thought.

Will this be the year when we can pull off a reunion among friends who haven't seen each other for almost forty years? Can all the puzzle pieces really fit together to bring together people who live on both American coasts and Asia?

After all, it is the Year of the Ox and, it is on my 'bucket list'!