Monday, January 19, 2009

Take It All Off

It was time. I had dragged my feet for a week or so, not wanting to destroy the beautiful treescape that we had created in late November. I am referring to our Christmas tree, with the twinkling lights and sparkling ornaments, creating a serene setting that I have enjoyed daily for almost two months now.

I tried to establish a daily morning routine of lighting the Christmas tree and sitting down with a cup of freshly brewed coffee made with freshly ground beans and my newspaper. For me, life doesn't get much better than this. I found it relaxing, renewing, refreshing, and, at times, downright calming. Each night, before I would turn in, I tried to make a point of once again lighting the tree and enjoying the peaceful atmosphere created by the various-colored lights that would reflect off the ornaments, resulting in an ethereal glow in an otherwise unlighted room.

So, this afternoon, I faced the inevitable and dragged out the storage bins from the basement, lugged them upstairs, and began undressing the Christmas tree. Now all the ornaments are laid out on the dining room table, awaiting their placement in the correctly-labeled boxes. They'll wait patiently until late this November, when, once again, we'll haul up the storage bins from the basement and reverse the process.

I can't wait!