Thursday, January 15, 2009

Baby, It's Cold Outside!

Just how cold is it?

It is so cold that...........

Comics have long had a field day with that line so I won't try.

I did scamper out early today, to retrieve my newspaper, in my winter parka and shorts. It was a short scurry to the mailbox and nothing froze - fortunately. It would have been embarrassing to be rescued from a fall in sub-zero temperatures with shorts on. Can we say "insane"?

It is cold enough that every school child within a sixty-mile radius, it seems, had today off. I had an appointment this morning that necessitated me leaving the warm confines of my home and the neighborhoods that I passed through were deserted. My own neighborhood could have had a baker's dozen bowling balls heaved through the streets and not struck a single person. Even the streets and business parking lots were similarly devoid of vehicles. Upon arriving at my destination, I purposefully parked in the sun, to give my little car the best chance of a smooth start-up when I was ready to leave. The car's engine did just that, but the heating motor whined so loudly that I shut the fan off and attempted to stay warm with just my heated seat. (Poor me!)

The experts say to keep your gas tank full when it is bitterly cold, so, on my way home, I stopped to 'fill-er-up'. I did notice that by the time I had finished with the process, my hands were having trouble with their fine-motor skills and when I arrived home and got out to fetch my mail, my fingers were even less responsive.

Good thing I didn't wear shorts to my appointment.........................

Stay warm and don't be foolish - or is it fuelish?