Saturday, January 31, 2009

My Own Bed

Have you ever noticed how good your own bed feels? This is especially true after spending time away from your own bed.

So as not to be understood, there are many very comfortable beds other than my own. In fact, unless I am sleeping directly on concrete, I can make my body find comfort on most surfaces. It is also easy to overcome excessive noise with ear plugs and excessive light with eye patches. Give me a good pillow and I am ready to sleep most anywhere! Since I am overheated most of the time, I seldom become cold at night so room temperature is also not an issue.

What I do hear countless people say is, "It felt so good to get home to my own bed!"

Why is that, do you suppose? I suppose it is because your own bed has its own particular lumps and bumps, even smells. You know exactly where the depressions and indentations are that your body will naturally settle into. You know the feel of your sheets and blankets. You know what your preferences are for color-schemes, going to bed, getting up from bed, thermostat settings, maybe even fragrance choices. Do you like the window cracked open a bit at night? Do you like to go to sleep with a television show or station on? Is there a pet that usually keeps you company at night? So many variables make up a good night's sleep.

There is only one thing I can think of that further enhances the quality of sleep in my own bed..........clean sheets and pillow cases. There is nothing that can compare to the senses' heightened awareness of smell and touch, AND the visual delight that comes with a carefully made and turned-down bed.

One touch of the head to the pillow and it is likely lights out. Hmmm........................................

Good night!