Monday, January 26, 2009

The Human Touch

Have you noticed that the human element is slipping away from us homo sapiens?

Voice mail instead of phone conversation...........text message in place of a phone conversation........email message instead of a hand-written note. Where did our humanity go? Or, maybe the question should be: Where is it headed?

I must raise my hand as a 'guilty' party to succumbing to the ease of electronics instead of personal contact. There have been times, depending on the situation and person, I will admit to planning on my timing of leaving a message, knowing full-well that I would be leaving a voice-mail instead of reaching the individual. I am not a big 'text-er' but there have been occasions when I've received a text message when I would have really rather had a voice-to-voice contact. There is just something comforting about hearing the voice of someone you love or care for.

That brings me to the fading art of the hand-written note. It is quickly becoming a lost form of communication. I, the lover of the received hand-written note, do find myself sending an email when I know that a personally-penned communication would be more appropriate, but
my perception is that I do not have time to write one. To that I say: Shame on me. As I think through the machinations of writing a note card, there is probably only two to three minutes more involved than drafting and sending an email.

As the King of Siam says in the movie, "The King and I" - "Tis a puzzlement!"